Friday, October 24, 2008

Chainplates

I decided to make the chainplates with some self made carbon fibre tube. To do this I found a piece of aluminium tube that was about 12.5mm OD.
I wrapped this with peel ply then added about 4 layers of wet glass followed by 3 layers of carbon uni. Then i tightened the whole unit by twisting it tight onto the aluminium mandrel. Once i was happy with this i bagged it & put the vacuum pump on.


A 12mm pin fits well inside this. From there I proceeded as normal with the chainplates.

3 comments:

MartinF said...

Congratulations with your new boat. I can see that you skipped some of the more tedius jobs involved building a F82....;-)

How do you plan to isolate the alu inside from the stainless pin? My guess is that the alutube will disappear over time and make a bigger bore.

Happy building

MartinF

http://lydiusmarius.blogspot.com/

MartinF said...

Sorry I did not read the text carefully, the alutube is 12.5 mm outside, so it acts as a mold and will be removed, right?

Rod said...

Yes you got it in 2. If you look closely at the pic you will see that the carbon layers are away from the centre so the bolt is insulated from the carbon.